Baby Play Ideas:
- Babies love songs, especially with repetitive words,
- Books are great for children and getting them into books from a young age is beneficial. Books for babies are often brightly coloured, have touch-and-feel aspects or may be interactive. You can read them stories and engage their attention with the colour and pictures.
- Hand and finger puppets are lots of fun and you can create your own stories to entertain your baby. Use funny voices or accents for an extra degree of entertainment!
- Rattles and other toys that make noises are lots of fun for babies.
- Baby play mats, which have rattles, scrunchy noises or other playful aspects included help gain a baby's attention.
Toddler Play Ideas:
- Making towers of building blocks is great fun, but develops key skills too. Children will probably love the part where they get to knock things down too!
- Many toddlers love dressing up boxes and acting out play themes.
- Drawing, colouring and other art and craft activities are loved by many toddlers, plus it can help their fine motor skills.
- Playing with a ball - either playing catch or kicking it around.
- Walking and running around outside or playing in a children's playground.
- For some outdoor activities, older toddlers can help in the garden, by watering plants or planting seeds.
- Singing songs is loved by toddlers too and adding actions adds an extra element.
The above are some notes from a 'Positive Parenting' course.