* Paste and collage - fabric, leaves, wool, egg cartons, old magazines, pasta.
* Threading - beads, buttons, macaroni, cotton reels, cut up plastic straws threaded onto strips of plastic or shoe laces tied at the end.
* Photo albums - include family photos, children's drawings, magazine pictures of favourite characters, old birthday cards.
* Playdough (See my homemade playdough recipes here)
* Water play - wash plastic dishes or doll's clothes in a baby's bath. Use plastic containers, funnels and sieves for pouring activities. Also see these activity ideas as well as this one.)
* Musical instruments - ice cream container drum with wooden spoon sticks, shakers made from empty cream bottles filled with rice (tape the lid), craft shop bells sewn on ribbon or elastic wrist bands.
* Skittles - plastic drink bottles or detergent bottles with a rubber ball.
* Make an indoor obstacle course using chairs, cushions, cardboard boxes and a skipping rope for children to climb over and under, walk along, crawl through.
* Cardboard boxes - can be turned into a boat, car, plane, garage, TV set, oven, sandals etc.
* Cubby house - throw a blanket over a table, add small cushions, plastic cups and plates and baby blankets. Also read my post titled A ZERO COST CUBBY HOUSE IN A MINUTE here.
* Dress up box - include old hats, shoes, pieces of material, costume jewellery, belts, ties, scarves, purses and handbags.
* Puppets - decorated paper plates on an icy pole stick, empty plastic bottles, old socks. Also see my post on MONKEY PUPPET.
* Nature walk - collect leaves, stones, pine cones, shells, feathers.
*Cooking - cook with your child.
*Gardening - garden together with your child.
* Puzzles - cut out and paste big pictures on to cardboard, then cut the picture into two or four pieces for children to put back together again.
Note: Some of the above recommendations are from a Positive Parenting Course while others belong to Home of Homemade Treasures Blog.